Founded in 2011, the Alexis de Tocqueville Project was established to promote scholarship and discourse in moral and political thought.
Among the issues the Tocqueville Project aims to examine are:
- the values of democratic society and their justification
- the moral basis of civil liberties and private property
- the role of religion in a free society
- an individualís obligations to others and to the state
- the relationship between democracy, freedom, and equality
- the relationship between law, liberty, and morality
- the role of the state in making individuals virtuous
In support of this mission, the project sponsors public lectures, scholarly colloquia, and discussion groups; produces, directs, and facilitates academic scholarship; and provides research, advising, and financial support to students with an expressed interest in examining these issues.